"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."~ Goethe


EASY - LIGHT - SMOOTH = FAST



Sunday, March 1, 2009

2 sore knees, fatigue lasting 2 days, running 12.75 mi and getting frustrated and lost in Pasadena, PRICELESS

Saturday AM, a day that should have been rest and sleeping in, I got up early so I could run with Dave and Hope on the Pas Half Marathon course. They had done it before during the last training, but since I've never done it, I thought it would be wise to explore this 3 weeks out from the actual event. I warned them they would be waiting over 30 minutes for me to return. Hey I gave them notice and they still decided we were doing the course.

So map in hand, each turn clearly written out on the side, we started out. Since I know I can't keep up with them, I insisted they start in front of me. I was able to keep an eye on them through the first 2 miles. This is where my first frustration set it. During this windy section, I lost site of Hope's pink shirt. I looked for the street I was supposed to turn on, couldn't see it and I thought I might have passed Glen Arm. I stopped some guy walking his dog, only to have his tell me he doesn't speak English. Oh well. I continued on until it turned into El Molino. That wasn't on the map! OMG. I must have missed Glen Arm. So I went up El Molino until I hit Califonia. That's not right. So I turned onto California to Marango. This is where I ran into Hope, Dave and Sylvia (who they met and was now running with them). After getting home and consulting mapmyrun, I only lost about .25 of a mile.

So I had them go in front of me and I was on my own again. There's the "lollipop" by City Hall. Dave said it was around City Hall so when I didn't see a street sign, I proceeded to go around, only to find myself lost AGAIN! Stop. Look. Stop. Look. I cross Los Robles. Here's where I made up for that lost .25 mile. OMFG!!!!! Needless to say, by this time, with all the turns, with getting lost twice, I was not a happy camper. Screw this! I have to go through Old Town. At least I KNOW that area.

Hit Bellefontaine and was is a much better place, both physically and in my mind. Nice views. No more turns for awhile (which means no more getting lost). I can deal with this. Until...

We agreed to skip the little loop on the back side of the Rose Bowl. OK I can deal with that. Seko. I need to stay on Seko. I moved to the inside of the street by the Bowl. Am I supposed to stay on the 5K course for a bit? Right. Seko??? Doesn't it follow the Bowl around to the back side? NOPE IT DOESN'T. Is that the sign over there? Stop. Cross again. Is this right? Up the hill I go. Still dealing with it OK. Up the hill. What were they thinking? Up the hill at Mile 9? OMFUCKINGGOD! I have nothing left in my legs. Thank god I had to stop to get the pebble out of my shoe. Easy (HA) jog up the hill. Wasn't the crest coming soon? PLEASE LET THAT SIGN SAY MOUTAIN. Whew.

By Mile 10 I was walking and jogging. And my jog was just a little more than a brisk walk, although it felt like more of an effort than that. More turns R on Raymond, Left on Orange Grove, Right on Wilson, Left on Corson, and finally Right on Hill. Last turn will be onto Colorado to PCC, the car and my driver! By this time, back running through heavy traffic, around people, with sore legs and a really bruised ego, I decided I'm stopping on the North side of Colorado and they can walk across the street to me and the car! And there they were there on the North side of the street...And Dave holding out water for me! Thank you Hope!!!! At this point, every step counted.

2 hours 35 minutes later I decided I'm not doing this route again. Well at least not after March 22nd.

2 comments:

Mountain Goat said...

Well, for all the whining and complaining you did in this blog..you sure did a good job of "sucking it up" on Saturday. Other than expressing aggravation at getting lost, you didn't seem upset at all. You did a great job! You finished when you thought you would..and hey, wasn't it all worth the great breakfast we had?

As for getting lost, the first time I ran that course I passed "Oak Knoll Circle" and continued to run South until I got to the Hotel, which is in SAN MARINO!!Ug..what an idiot. So, I got to run all the way back up that hill. That whole day sucked and I never even got to run the distance I wanted, so you did a lot better than I did my first time.

Thanks for being out there with us.

Joanne said...

Of course it's all about the food! Yeah I'll talk to you after my knee stops hurting. HA.

Thanks for being the positive one! And of course I have to thank Dave since he puts up with me.