I just got back from crewing for the marathoners and half-marathoners. I was the water station at miles 13 and 17. I was there, waiting patiently for the runners to hit me twice since I was parked at the entrance of a loop so they would have to pass me twice. So I was there, waiting, watching other runners-both individuals and groups-who were obviously also training for the marathon or half-marathon.
How did I know? Well one group had on matching shirts that said Pasadena Marathon. I could be wrong, but I think it's a safe bet what they were training for. And another group and some individuals were looking at maps. Now I don't know about you, but I don't usually run with a map unless there's a specific route I want to follow. HMMM. What could that be?
Anyway I digress. So I'm waiting and watching, and wishing I could be one of them. All I could do is say "Hi" to those who ran by me, or tell them "good job" so they do know they ARE an INSPIRATION, even the ones, ESPECIALLY the ones, who were struggling, sucking wind, had that look like they desperately wanted to walk or to just go home.
I SO wanted to be part of the group that was DOING instead of part of the group WATCHING. Even if I'm usually slow, at least I was able to run and participate. Now I'm just a bit envious because they can do what I can't right now.
I'm sure some people were wondering why I was parked there. And I wonder if some of the neighbors were a bit suspicious of a car parked for hours, me just sitting in the back, rocking out to my iPod, doddling and sketching. I know the barky little dog who's house I was in front of was sure wondering. He barked almost the entire 3 hours I was there. He was actually barking at the runners and anyone who went by and would only bark at me if we made eye contact. If I made eye contact, I was fair game.
Then it hit me. I was waiting there, as support, for MY group. This wonderful group of people I know who are making every effort they can to train for this race. They were relying on ME to be there for them. This wonderful group of people who are inspirational to others, show encouragement to everyone willing to make an effort, to be appreciative of me and Rochelle supporting them as water stops. What a great group! I was happy to have the opportunity to support them.
Kudos to all the runners today. Now relax and ice for tomorrow is a rest day. But if you want to have an "easy" day, you can join us since we're walking the 5K for Race for the Rescue at the Rose Bowl tomorrow. (Just FYI-the we I'm referring to could be me and Dave, or just me and BooBoo Bear). Yes -E that is her name. Yes the one I gave her. No it's not a type-o. Yes I did spell it that way to be unique. Yup! And she loves me all the more for it! HA!
No comments:
Post a Comment