"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."~ Goethe


EASY - LIGHT - SMOOTH = FAST



Thursday, September 11, 2008

How do I get rid of an enemy when it's me?

We are our own worst enemy, right? Upon further review of my blogs for this past year, its all full of injuries. I suppose the best thing would be to wait... and wait ....and wait until I fully heal. But how? I keep doing these things.

My thought yesterday was to test how my hamstring felt after last week's run. Last week it was around mile 2 that it was giving me problems. Maybe this week it would still be ok after 3 miles.

I tried to run and got 2 blocks before I had to walk. HMMM... How far could I go before it would really make me stop? I'd walk half a block before I would have to stop and walk the last half. I did this for another, what, 3 more blocks (forward of course). My original goal was to go 3 miles....and I got a whole 2 blocks. Whoo Hooo ( I hope you hear the sarcasm). I did have the sense to stop at Myrtle and turn around (half way to my original distance). And I did go home and foam roll and use the triggerpoint balls.

So I'm online looking at solutions and...opps...forgot to take ibuprofen....oh and forgot to ice. Not good at remembering these things when I get home.

So do I remember to NOT try this again next week?

On a lighter note, I'm LOVING the change in weather! I had to grab my fleece pullover when we grabbed dinner last night. Oh the start of fall. LOVE IT.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Hang in there Joanne, injuries suck but will heal given time and effort... and it sounds like you're doing the right stuff.

I think the trick lies in staying down just long enough to let the injury site heal, but not so long that starting back up injures someplace else.

I'm finding it one hell of a dance trying to manage an over 40 body.