I feel like a voyeur when I read other people's blogs. I get to look into their lives, their souls sometimes, without them knowing it. But that, I guess, is the beauty of blogging. Sometimes we blog and are more truthful and expressive than when we just talk face-to-face.
Conversations like when asked " how's it going" ... "OK" ... When in my head I'm thinking...well this hurts, I'm not feeling confident in my abilities, I'm having issues blah blah blah. But I don't want to seem like a whiner, or that I'm vulnerable, or that I just don't think I'm as capable, etc.....I was raised to not complain (I know-who would have guessed), not to show your emotions and to always be strong.
So back to reflections. When I came across another blog, I started to think about my life and how fortunate I've really been. I look at some of the goals friends have for their 50th BD, and I think "My God that's an amazing Goal!" Not one I would want to every do. But OMG good for her. I'm just not that ambitious! Or maybe it should be said that I have other goals other than that.
Then I reflect on 50 - 3 more years and I'm in that different decade bracket. 50 sounds old when I think about the previous generation -mainly my parents. They are from a different generation when 50 meant to slow down. Of course the did live through internment and WWII, the Korean war, a time when TV was a BIG luxury item, food was seasonal, families had no or only one car, when the decision for my Mom to work was a big deal based on economic survival, my clothes were made by my mother making her own patterns which was a skill taught in school (women were meant to be housewives and the men made all the decisions and the money), etc.
Yet my friends think 50-Wow what can I accomplish by or at 50? HMMM different age bracket=more metals.
I look at how fortunate I've been in HS with friends that kept me grounded and kept pulling me away from undersireable elements...drugs, alcohol, that "bad-boy" that lead me towards all that. I'm no saint and I did my fair share of partying in high school and college. But my friends and my conscience kept me just far enough into this side of "good" that I was always able to pull away from that (as fun and exciting as it was). Can't deny that it was a good time! And I could have seriously done damage to myself and to others. Not knowing where I parked the car or how I even got home but kinda remembering I drove home...scary stuff but I was having fun.
My friends have always been my close "family" and I know how lucky I am to have all of you in my life. Just FYI...
2 comments:
I couldn't agree more, it is very odd to read someone's blog. Even weirder for me, is when someone comments about mine live... I get so embarassed, even though I don't write anything I wouldn't say out loud, although maybe not quite so publicly. But then, I'm still quite surprised that anyone actually reads it.
Joanne, I'm so glad you played lemming, it's really cool to have two of my favorite people putting themselves out there too. :)
Happy birthday and I hope you enjoy your night tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you crazy ladies.
Hey Jo Jo! Excellent post.
I'm with you on that funny "voyeur" type feeling that you referred to as well. Although I quickly get past it once I actually read through the blogs, and see that people are more willing to be honest and even if just a bit more free of ego than they normally would.
There are a few things that value more than true honesty in people, after faith, hope and love.
At the very least here, in your own blog, I challenge you to try a different type of exercise. Which is to just be who you are and say what you feel. I think Dr. Seuss put it quite well, actually:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who care don't matter, and those who matter don't care."
- Dr. Seuss
Don't waste any time basing what you would post on this blog on what people that would think of you as a winer. Fuck them.
Keep kicking ass, lady!
- P
Post a Comment