"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."~ Goethe


EASY - LIGHT - SMOOTH = FAST



Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Speed Work

Since I hate running, I hate speed work even more. It's tough. I don't have the stamina. I don't have the lung capacity. Basically I think it sucks. OK I know it works. It will give me better times. It will increase my stamina. It will increase my performance, yada yada yada.

So last night's workout was speed work- 200's x 8. I was brain dead last night so I couldn't figure out why may watch wasn't recording lap times. But here's what I remember:
Lap 1 - 46 sec.
Laps 2-8 were consistantly between 55 - 58 sec thanks to Carmen being able to figure out her watch.

Since the training chart posted for Pasadena's training is for a Marathon distance and the shortest distance is 400, I figured my desired time x 2 and took the distance time and divided by 2. Not a prefect science since sprinting 200 is "easier" than 400.

If I want to run a sub-2 hr Half, I should shoot for a 200 at 53.5 sec (400 @ 1:47) = 1:57:00 Half @ 9:01 pace.

If I want to run the Half at a sub-10mm pace, I should shoot for a 200 at 58 sec (400 @ 1:56) = 2:07:00 Half @ 9:43 pace.

I guess I should shoot for a sub-2 hr and hope for a sub-10mm pace.

Damm I see more speedwork in my future. At least for the next 21 weeks. Blah.

1 comment: