I've been searching for the last few days for any word on Natashi Richardson's condition and any changes after a ski accident. I've been trying to figure out why I'm so obsessed with this. It's tragic, but I don't usually follow the tabloids in this way.
So why? I think it's because this could have been anyone we knew. This was a simple accident on a bunny slope during ski lessons. How many times have I fallen skiing? Or on a bike? Or just running? How many times have we had friends fall in front of us and just laughed at their misfotune of finding themselves with their butt on the ground and skies up in the air. Last time I went skiing with Dave, I fell and hit my head. But I got up, more embarrassed at my lack of control, than suffering from physical injury.
Such a simple, innocent accident resulted in a tragic death. Wow. Here's another of life's lessons born out of tragedy that life is way too short to take it for granted.
I was watching PBS last weekend about happiness, quality of life, etc and an interviewee said her son saw a butterfly land on a flower and comments, "That is our gift for today." After that, they asked each family member at the end of the day, "What was the gift for the day?"
My gift yesterday was just spending time with Dave in the evening. Grocery shopping, going to REI, seeing everyone at bootcamp when we went to retrieve my water bottle. That was my gift.
"Dream as if you'll live forever... live as if you'll die today "
~ James Dean
1 comment:
Beautiful post Joanne. I try very hard to remember to be thankful for something everyday. Sometimes I'm just thankful to God to wake up and continue this amazing journey called "life."
I know this may sound strange, but I hope I die quickly, like she did, doing something I like, or die in my sleep. I know it's hard on her family, and I'm sad for them. Yet I think she is lucky to have passed with so little warning or pain.
Thank you..very thought provoking.
Post a Comment