"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."~ Goethe


EASY - LIGHT - SMOOTH = FAST



Monday, March 23, 2009

Pasadena Half Marathon

Here's the stats:
Bib: 4006
Name: Joanne Kakuda
Gender: F
Age: 47
Overall: 1898 out of 2890
Women: 876 out of 1609
F 45-49: 116 out of 225
Age/Grade: 47.00% Place: 1479
Finish: 2:37:09 Pace: 12:00
10 Km: 1:12:37 Pace: 11:42


And here's my thoughts: It was hard. I did one training run where I ran 13 miles. And it hurt. Anything over 8 miles for me hurts, especially the miles past 10. During the race I had to stop once to stretch my hamstrings and calves but I don't know how much good that really did because after a few steps, they would tighten up. I don't know if it's just mechanics or if more long distance training would have helped.

What I do know is that I thankfully ran with Barbara and Carmen and this made the race. They decided before the race to run 4/1. I've never tried that and I didn't want to do run this all on my own so I thought I'd stick with them. I could always keep going during the walk period if I felt like I just needed to keep moving. But I decided to say. It felt good to stick with them. At the end, they kept me going and really pushed me on.

I could barely walk after the race. And the 4 or 5 blocks to the car took forever, with each step harder than the other. I think it must have taken 20 minutes to get to the car. But after the rest my legs stopped hurting.

Funny but I'm realizing I never thought "I'm never doing this again." I know I should have thought that. I wonder why that thought never came into my mind? It must have been because I was with Barbara and Carmen. Teamwork goes a long way. Thank you ladies.

And congrats to all those who ran this, especially the marathoners and the ones who came in after us. I know how hard it was to keep going and how painful. But the feeling of completion, after hours of constant moving, shows true heart and determination.

No comments: