Reading others' blogs about "The Zone" really makes me want to jump on the bandwagon (again). Last night, while D was gone, I brought out the Zone recipe book I bought last year. I thought I'd go thorough it, plan some meals out, figure out how many blocks for the menues I plan, etc. I'm trying to accomplish 1) cooking on Sunday and having the left-overs spill into quick after-bootcamp meals during the week, 2)less red meat but still keeping D happy, and 3) having it be quick, easy and with stuff I normally have in my pantry. Needless to say I shut down, put the book down (but not away) and sat and watched TV.
How many blocks is the roast chicken w/ rosemary, lemon-thyme and garlic, wild rice (no stuffing-too many carbs) and salad with homemade Honey-Mustard dressing? Hmmm 1/4 C dry wild rice = 30 gm carbs (3 blocks+ )and 6 gm protein (1 block). That was the full alotment of carbs :( But since I made extra, I didn't have the whole 1/4 C amount. I didn't weight the chicken but figured I really had just a bit more protein than 3 blocks.
See in my mind, the left-over chicken and wild rice will turn into chicken soup or chicken pot pie (somehow reformulated so there isn't any carrots or potatoes for a quick after-bootcamp meal. I may still add peas even though it's not really zone friendly. Yeah this is a Zone-ish recipe I'm working through my mind using the quick frozen biscuit from TJs as the only pastry part of this. I was looking for a substitute for the potatoes when I found out the acorn and butternut squash I've been making should be on the No Zone menu. Opps. And I thought I was been good getting D to eat Cooked Orange food: No cooked carrots, no butternut squash soup (unless the butternut is slathered with butter and brown sugar. So I guess that's getting crossed off the list.
I still didn't get a menu that's Zone Approved.
P-I'll join you in your Zoning when I get this all figured out.
Like to Cooking = Like to Eating
No comments:
Post a Comment