"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."~ Goethe


EASY - LIGHT - SMOOTH = FAST



Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Confused again!

Since I am now commuting to work on the bike a few times a month, and have committed to continue to do so, I need to think about clipless pedals. I am using Look-type and I like them if I don't have to stop. This is the only one I've ever used so I don't know about any others. My used bike from ebay came with SPDs but I took those off and gave those to Dave so I could use my existing shoes. Sounded good, right? Around the dam or on a closed route, the Looks are fine.

But if I have to stop, it is hard to start. Ok I can hear some of you thinking just to change gears. No it's not that. When I push off, the plate slips and I can't get any traction. OK! So there :)

I think bikers who blog just think other people know the lingo. I was reading a blog from a "biking newbie" who asked about pedals. The responses talked about "float." What the HELL is float? And what the HELL is the advantage of being able to clip in from both sides. AND HOW THE HELL CAN YOU CLIP IN FROM BOTH SIDES? ISN'T THERE A FRAME OR SOME GEARS IN THE WAY?!? OMG! I so don't want to go so the store and ask. God I hate looking stupid.

On a lighter note, they reopened the Bike Tour during the Pasadena Marathon. I'm signed up and can proudly wear the T-shirt (if I get one).

And since this is off week and Dave should be off doing his training, I think I'm going to do a fun jog/walk/run. When I was talking to Beth during the Race for the Rescue, she said she entered her house in the Halloween contest in Monrovia. So I when to Monrovia's website and they have all the houses listed in the contest. I think I'm going to map out a route and slowly cruise by there tonight. I think BooBoo needs some exercise tonight, too. So Beth, if you see me and Boo go by, we're not stalking you.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Know your "pedal pain." Been learning about this stuff recently too. But there are certain clipless pedals that also have a small platform, so you can clip in on either side ( and you can get going without clipping in if necessary). Glad you were able to get into the Marathon Ride.

Creative Mama said...

tell me more about this bike tour... I might be in for it...

Kellie said...

I haven't riden in way too long, but here's my sit... My road bike pedals have a clip on both sides of the pedal, but I also have enough platform to be able to pedal unclipped... which used to make it easier to unclip before stopping and reclip after getting started again.

I also found it easier to leave one foot clipped throughout, to make it easier to get going again.

I'm with Sarah, and would love to join you guys for a weekend ride, any interest in making it to the beach again one of these days?