"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."~ Goethe


EASY - LIGHT - SMOOTH = FAST



Monday, September 22, 2008

Friday night back at Crossfit! My thought was I would do something that was "easy." Now we all know there is no "easy" in crossfit, but I would stay away from running, and possibly squats. Ivan-1 sounded good. 5 rounds of 5 pullups, 20 situp, 5 pushups, 10 KB swings for time. 15:13! Tried the band to help with the kipping pullups. Loved it! OK I only did 1 and the rest were a spastic, comic effort. BUT I DID 1. So is this a progression? Is using the band a step up from jumping pullups? Can't wait to tell Kel.

Sunday morning I woke up at 5am to run Hogees with D and Kel and whoever else showed up. I really wanted to enjoy the morning up there, but thought better when I was in the shower and felt how tight my hamstrings & periformus was. I was good the night before and rolled, iced, etc. In my mind I kept thinking how stupid was I to try my leg out on a "easy paced" 5 mile trail where I knew it would be only uphill or downhill. So I played it smart in the morning and reluctantly backed out. Since there was a 5K later that day on a flat course, with walkers, that would be the better choice to test out my running legs.

So in the afternoon we met. And I did a light jog with Kellie, stopping when I could feel the hamstrings really tightening up. I was waiting for the "pop" but decided to stop and walk just before I thought it would happen. Luckily it never came. After the run...ice ice baby! By the late evening, sitting was not my favorite thing to do. Remembering my conversation with Kellie about not being able to "just stop" knowing this will prolong recovery, the uncomfortableness of sitting reminded me of how stupid I can be. So today me and my triggerpoint ball are up close and personal again.

But I'm looking forward to hiking around Sedona and the Grand Canyon later this week when we're on vacation. Yes there is a disconnect in my brain. After all, we are a society of quick-fixes and self-gratification.

On Dirt Diva's blog she wrote "Bless your difficulties and ask to see their hidden guidance. Have the courage to accept what you discover and to initiate whatever action your healing requires." I'm still trying to find how this is a blessing and how this could be a good thing. If I discover the "Why," then maybe I'll do 100% of the "How."

Maybe one day it will come to me, but not today.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Joanna, I just love your posts. I'm so glad you two get to go play in Sedona for a while, the rest will do you both good... unless of course you do something typically crazy like try and scale the Grand Canyon.

Enjoy the trip and I am tickled to no end that you were able to do a spastic kip... I'm there with you sister! Form will come to us with time, first we just get the chin over the bar, again, and again, and again!